Over 40.000 people joined the Climate March, a fantastic turnout. Our message: political leaders are failing and action is urgently needed. Only two days after the March our government was pressured into joining 26 other countries and institutions in their commitment to stop financing international fossil fuel projects by the end of 2022. While this is a big victory, it is by far not enough. What comes next?
Our movement is growing and achieving successes. After winning the climate case against Shell earlier this year, ABP (the largest pension fund in Europe) announced in October that they will divest from fossil fuels. And this week, our government was pressured into stopping the funding of international fossil fuel projects. Campaigning and protesting works.
Route for expanding the movement
Widespread social change only happens with mass action. If a global movement demands that society transitions to an equitable fossil free system, we can prevent dangerous climate breakdown.
The most recent Climate March is just one manifestation of a broad movement. Grandparents, students, farmers, nurses, Groningers, Limburgers: people from all over the world and from allu walks of life will feel the effects of climate change. For many, these effects are already life-threatening – especially in the Global South. And yet, many people were still missing from the March. Which people were missing according to you? Which club, society or company could join us next time? Let’s all join forces to help grow this climate movement.
We must continue to let our voices be heard in order to build a strong movement across the country. These are the next steps:
- Housing protests this month. The housing crisis and the climate crisis are connected: both are concerned with the right to a livable world. These crises also both disproportionately affect those who have contributed to them the least, such as people who live in poverty, people of color and people with disabilities. Both crises are sustained by the influence of Big Money. To illustrate: 70.000 new housing units will not be built because the growth of Schiphol is being given priority. Mutual solidarity can strengthen both movements. Please join the housing protests on Sunday November 14th in The Hague, Sunday November 21st in Utrecht and Sunday November 28th in Groningen.
- A climate crisis conference in January or February 2022 where the movement will make decisions about the next big climate protest and where we will deepen our understanding of climate justice.
- A local climate action day on March 12th 2022 in the run-up to the municipal elections, since climate justice is also a local theme. The climate movement should be a visible part of discussions about energy-poverty, livable neighborhoods and citizen’s participation. The Dutch Climate Crisis Coalition therefore declares March 12th as a local action day of action, with the aim of influencing municipal elections taking place on March 16th 2022.
- Next big climate protest in May or June 2022. We will gather the built-up momentum once again for a mass protest to call for climate justice and hold the new government to account. The exact date and focus of this protest is still to be determined together with our allies. For now, we’d like to call on everyone to help with the mobilisation efforts leading up to this event.
Campaigns and meet-ups
We urge everyone to get involved in a national organisation, local coalition or a specific campaign. There are numerous initiatives from organisations in the climate movement that you can contribute to, such as:
- Greenpeace: sign the European citizens’ initiative to Ban Fossil Fuel Advertising!
- Oxfam Novib: sign the petition – don’t invest my money in pollution!
- Extinction Rebellion: Rabobank, stop sponsoring the agricultural crisis! Sign the petition and become active locally.
- Groen Pensioen: Healthcare pension funds, stop investing in fossil fuel companies.
- DeGoedeZaak: Save the energy transition – stop the claim of €2 billion against the closing of coal plants.
- Fridays For Future NL: register for the open youth meeting on Sunday November 21st.
- Fossielvrij NL and Groen Pensioen: join the meetup PFZW fossil free on Tuesday November 30th.
- Milieudefensie: join the meetup on Thursday December 2nd “What comes next after the Climate March?”